Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Mistress of Niothing


The Mistress of Nothing

Kate Pullinger



This novel is based on the true story of Sally Naldrett, lady's maid to Lady Lucie Duff-Gordon. When Lady Duff-Gordon is sent to Egypt for its warm, dry climate, in order to try to slow the progress of the disease that was slowly wracking her body, she is accompanied by her faithful maid, Sally,

In Egypt, Sally finds a freedom that she'd never dreamed possible back in England in the 19th Century. However, when she falls in love with an Egyptian dragoman, she finds that the freedom she'd found may only be an illusion.

I whipped through this book in two days. Yes, it's short, but I could hardly put it down. Had I not been busy, I'm sure I'd have finished it the same day.

It's a page-turner, and even though the tone is strongly romantic, it also deals with some solid themes - addressing differences in class and religion, for instance.

This was a book that I thoroughly enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment