Saturday, April 14, 2012

No Place for a Lady: Adventurous Women Travelers


No Place for a Lady: Tales of Adventurous Women Travelers

Barbara Hodgson



This book is about one of my favorite subjects; women who were daring enough to buck convention, escape the narrow confines that defined their societal role, and who saw, explored, and experienced the world at large.

I have to admit that the writing was a little weak. Especially the structure of the book was a little choppy.

That being said, who cares? What was lacking in structure was more than made up for by the adventure, and by the lavish, beautiful illustrations. I was especially enthralled by the gorgeous maps from Victorian-era atlases.

I've learned that Barbara Hodgson is a book designer as well as an author, and it shows.

I totally fell in love with this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment