Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Bridge of San Luis Rey


The Bridge of San Luis Rey

Thornton Wilder



In 1714 in Peru the bridge of San Luis Rey broke, sending 5 people to their deaths.

The accident was witnessed by Brother Juniper, who has been plagued by the question of the role the hand of God plays in the lives and deaths of human beings. He realizes that if he can find a common denominator among the five victims he may be find an answer.

As he investigates the lives of the dead, he finds many intersections where their lives entwined with one another, but can he find a reason why God would have wanted them dead?

I loved this book and have added it to my list of favorites. I do not wrestle with the big questions raised by this book, but I always love books that address the huge basic question of what it means to be human, and our role in the universe.

I was so impressed by how such huge themes were contained in this little gem of a volume. The writing was sure and powerful. I would have loved it for that, alone, but I loved everything about it. The characters, the situations, and the setting were all so wonderfully done.

No comments:

Post a Comment