Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Daughter's Love


A Daughter's Love

John Guy



This was a very readable biography of Sir Thomas More and, incidentally, of his daughter, Margaret Roper. I say incidentally, because she was treated with more depth than other family members and other background characters, but nto with nearly the same depth as More, the author of Utopia.

I really liked Guy's More. He was witty, jolly, fun-loving, socially conscious, and a loving family man. However, after I'd finished the book, and had a bit of time to digest what I'd read, I realized that he was the same person who condemned many people to horrible deaths as heretics. I couldn't help but think that his own fate at the hands of Henry VIII was a perfect example of poetic justice.

I really did find this a fascinating read. More was definitely an interesting man who was a deep thinker and very highly principled, although holding too tightly to those same principles led him to commit terrible acts, and, ulitmately, was his undoing.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an interesting read. I think Moore really thought he was doing "good" by his religious zealousness, but it seems that he got his own form of justice in the end. Turbulent times that he lived in.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete