Friday, February 10, 2012

Pearl Buck in China: Journey to the Good Earth


Pearl Buck in China: Journey to The Good Earth

Hilary Spurling



Obviously this is a biography of the author Pearl Buck. Emphasis was on the forces that shaped her as a writer.

I'd never read a biography of Pearl Buck previously. Of course I knew the basics ... that she had lived in China, and that China had formed her as much or more than the West. I assumed she'd grown up there, and further assumed it likely that she was the daughter of missionaries.

The details of her early experiences were fascinating to me.

I knew that she was an advocate for Human Rights, etc., but hadn't known that she was quite such a pioneer. Her anti-colonial views about mission work were ahead of their time as well.

This was an excellent biography and was so absorbing that I read it in just a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment